Week One NaNoWriMo Check-In
Five Random Things About my 2013 NaNoWriMo Project
1) I actually outlined. I'm a pantser when it comes to writing-- which means I write by the seat of my pants. I have no idea what it going to come out of this brain of mine. I write until it's done, sometimes stopping for research. Or better words.
2) My NaNoWriMo project started out as a short story. After months of revision and query writing, I started a 21 Day Writing Challenge to get back into writing during September. During this time, I decided to work on a short story project. Once I handed in DEATH NOTICE to my Stone Circle critique partners, they mentioned that there were too many unanswered questions. How was I going to wrap this up in a few thousand words? (What would I do without these two? Seriously?!?)
Well, it made finding my NaNoWriMo project easy enough. I took the few thousand words, and using various worksheets, and volia!, an outline was born (let's see if I follow through with it).
|In Starbucks wearing my new glasses.|
3) Writing sprints! Write-Ins! Last year, I discovered writing sprints on Twitter. They helped save my word count and my sanity. There's no real competition with writing sprints. It's all about challenging each other and cheering the other people on. Write-ins are something I'm trying out this year. I'm not much of a coffee/beverage person, but I do love getting out of the house. I lived with various roommates in college so I think this habit of finding a quiet spot away from everything rubbed off on me even ten years later.
I attended the LA Kick-Off Party since a friend invited me. I'm so glad that I made the trek up there to surround myself with other writers! I wish we all lived a little bit closer. Thank goodness for chat and Twitter!
|LA Kick-Off party with Corrie and Amy.|
Found a San Diego mug! And my sticker!
Supplies-- laptop, notebooks,and tablet ready to go!
4) I do have a playlist for the WIP! I use Google Play All Access since I have all my music backed up on the service. My Iron Keys CPs recommended some music, and somehow a list was born! I plugged the different artists into the radio feature and was given similar artists so it keeps growing. I'll have to share it when I'm done since it isn't done growing yet!
5) Oh! And, yes, my WIP is about death. It's working title right now is DEATH NOTICE. For some reason, Death as a character is something I'm actually fascinated by (you can blame Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett for that). When I started the short story, I didn't know exactly where it would go. Death isn't exactly who I thought it would be, and this is the first time I've written a dual perspective. I'm curious how the pieces will come together when I'm done writing!
And here are the stats!
I'm so proud of the hard work of all the writers I've been talking to over the past week. We survived Week 1 and now onto Week 2!
Happy writing, everyone!