A good way to become a great writer is to read, read, and read. It is the number one piece of advice that that I hear over and over again from all authors. One question that is asked over and over is "What about when I want to become published, what is something I can do?" Read new authors. Find out what editors, agents, and publishers are looking for by seeing what is the latest in their catalog and see where people started.
Over the past few years, I have been reading tons of new authors or author's first books. I don't know what the attraction is, but it is just something that I have been attracted to. I follow lots of authors on Twitter and a few are on this very list. They are all so amazing.
Here is a list of the authors and their first books that I have read over the past few years that I can definitely recommend. Some may have published more since so be sure to check them out and a few you will probably recognize.
- Graceling by Kristin Cashore
- Ash by Malindo Lo
- Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink
- Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken
- Mistwood by Leah Cypess
- Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon
- The Familiars by Adam Epstein and Andrew Jacobson
- The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
- A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
- The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
- Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
- Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
- The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff